Minister of Music, Jamaica Plain, MA
Music is a vital part of the life of this congregation. In coordination with the pastor, the Minister of Music exercises an important ministry that reaches out to all members of the congregation and the community. To this end:
- The Minister of Music agrees to recognize and facilitate the pastoral dimension of this position by serving as a minister, educator, and principal musician of this congregation.
- The Minister of Music and the Pastor agree to meet regularly so as to affect collegiality in the ministry of music.
Hours of Work:
This position requires 10 hours per week—including Sunday mornings, worship planning meetings, and other hours as needed (e.g. choir rehearsals, Wednesday night programming).
Compensation & Benefits:
Payment is $600/month, paid monthly. At this time there are no other benefits associated with this position. Both the Minister of Music and the Church may terminate employment at will, but recognize that 60 days' advance written notice is preferable.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Support the mission and ministry of our intergenerational, multi-cultural, welcoming and affirming congregation.
- Provide music for weekly worship services and special occasions in the life of the church. A wide repertoire is expected (hymnody, gospel, jazz, folk, world, classical, pop/rock, etc.).
- Lead the paid pianist and other volunteer musicians in the weekly worship.
- Work collaboratively with Pastor and other staff to coordinate, plan, and integrate music into the life of the church.
- Facilitate and encourage participation of church members in the musical life of the church, for example, congregational singing, musical groupings (e.g. choir) and soloists/instrumentalists.
- Bring in guest musicians as needed. Assist in finding a substitute when necessary.
- Communicate with staff and volunteers as required, provide resources and advice for pastor and church members, and attend staff meetings.
- Submit newsletter and order of service announcements. Represent the music program at various church meetings, as requested.
- Work with our organ restoration committee.
- Provide music for weddings and funerals as desired.
- Apprentice with the outgoing minister of music for 4-8 weeks to ensure a smooth transition for the congregation.
Having some or many of these skills will bolster your application for this position. An openness to acquiring these skills is also desirable.
- Strong vocal leadership skills
- Ability to speak or pronounce multiple languages, especially Spanish
- Passion for, and awareness of, social justice issues, including racism
- Ability to play multiple instruments
- Experience leading choir rehearsals
- Keyboard skills, especially for running choir rehearsal
- Adept at improvisation
- Excellent sight-reading abilities
- Knowledge of Black church, Hispanic, and global styles of music
- A rich theological understanding of the role of a minister of music in a multi-cultural congregation
- Connections with other local musicians who would play occasionally for the church
Women and people of color especially encouraged to apply.
Applications must be submitted before March 1, 2015. Please submit a cover letter and a résumé, detailing your qualifications for this position, especially in regard to the responsibilities and desired skills listed above. If hired, this position would begin in Spring 2015.
Please email your application to the address below.