Director of Religious Education, Devon, PA
The Director of Religious Education at Main Line Unitarian Church (MLUC) is responsible for the religious education of children from birth through 12th grade. The DRE is the professional staff leader of a ministry which instills a sense of Unitarian Universalist identity in our children and youth, and creates a safe and welcoming environment for their faith development through community and family involvement.
This position reports to the Associate Minister, and supervises the Religious Education Assistant, Youth Coordinator, Child Care Coordinator, and other staff as may be assigned. The DRE is supported by lay leadership, principally through the Church School and Youth Activities Committees, and collaborates with the ministers, staff, and volunteer teachers.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Work collaboratively with Church School Committee (CSC) and the Youth Activities Committee (YAC) to set goals and administer the program.
- Supervise the Religious Education staff, in accordance with MLUC personnel policies and procedures.
- Select, develop, and implement religious education curricula.
- Recruit, train, nurture, and provide administrative support of volunteers.
- Provide periodic Sunday children’s worship services.
- Collaborate with ministers in creating a vibrant worship ministry, including the weekly Time For All Ages and several multigenerational services throughout the year.
- Work collaboratively within the staff teams, including weekly meetings with the Associate Minister, bi-monthly program-staff meetings, and annual staff retreat.
- Coordinate multigenerational programming and special events.
- Guide RE participation in the congregation’s social action activities.
- With the support of the Parish Nurse and ministers, provide pastoral care to children, youth, and their families.
- Manage the RE Budget.
- Administer the church school and youth programs: data collection, report generation, and maintenance of the Church School Calendar, RE resources, classroom materials, and supplies.
- Communicate with volunteers, families, and congregation, including a weekly e-newsletter and a monthly newsletter column.
- Provide other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Associate Minister.
- Knowledge of, and enthusiasm for, liberal religion and Unitarian Universalism
- Love of children and youth, with sensitivity to their developmental needs, and to family pastoral needs
- Ability to effectively work with and lead volunteers in a service-oriented environment
- Supervision of staff and volunteers
- Budget management, including time allocation of staff hours
- Knowledge, affirmation, and modeling of UU values
- Ability to work effectively with many personalities and remain flexible
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency with technology, including data management
- Ability to prioritize
- Education: Bachelors degree required
- Desired: Advanced degree and/or UUA credentialing for religious educators
- Additional certifications: Compliance with requirements of Safe Congregation Policy
Compensation: MLUC is a Large I congregation in Unitarian Universalist Association’s Geo Index 4 and is committed to following the fair compensation guidelines of the UUA.
Hours per week: Full-time
Benefits eligible: Yes
Benefits include: Employer-paid health, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance; UUA retirement contribution after 1 year of service, unless already enrolled; 20 vacation days plus paid holidays; annual budgeted professional expenses at 10 percent of salary; moving expenses up to $4,500