Library Co-Director/Public Services Librarian, Andover Newton
Andover Newton Theological School seeks a Library Co-Director and Public Services Librarian. This position leads the library’s public services and will work with a team of faculty members, administrators, and students toward implementing the vision of a new “Learning Commons” for the School. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until a suitable candidate is appointed.
Library Co-Director and Public Services Librarian
- Works under the Vice President for Academic Affairs to oversee the work of Franklin Trask Library.
- Partners with Library Co-Director and Technical Services Librarian.
- Supervises library staff concerned with public services.
- Supports student learning through the library.
- Collaborates with faculty in providing instruction on use of resources to students.
- Represents Andover Newton Theological School to the Boston Theological Institute (BTI) Library Directors group.
- Participates in ATLA (American Theological Library Association) on behalf of the School.
Scope of Work:
- With Library Co-Director and Technical Services Librarian directs and oversees all library operations to support the mission of the School.
- Works with the Andover Newton faculty in supporting student learning.
- Oversees Reference, Circulation, and Archives functions of the library.
- Supports external partners, such as church leaders and resident scholars, seeking library resources.
- Contact for student-related matters and library representative to campus committees for student issues.
- Instructs students on locating and using resources. Approves theses submitted to the library.
- Represents library on faculty’s Academic Policy Committee.
- Maintains library personnel records, including student payroll.
- Coordinates library staff schedule.
- Oversees weekly accounts payable.
- Coordinates interlibrary loan, book replacement billing, and library book sales.
- Manages course book reserves.
- General oversight of the physical plant.
- Recommends and implements library policy.
- Budget preparation and oversight.
- Materials selection.
- Ongoing collection evaluation.
- Library representative to faculty and BTI Library Director meetings.
- MLIS from an ALA-accredited school.
- Five or more years of experience in library public services.
- Experience in change leadership.
- Teamwork abilities and experience.
- Academic background in theology or religion (preferred).
- Experience in or promise for supervising staff effectively.
- Superior English language written and oral communication skills.
Andover Newton is a graduate seminary serving approximately 300 full- and part-time students with 50 full- and part-time staff. Traditionally covenanted with the United Church of Christ and the American Baptist Churches, the School’s student population has nearly 35 denominations represented, with a large Unitarian Universalist student population. The school is situated on a beautiful 20-acre campus in Newton Centre, a residential suburb just outside Boston, Massachusetts. A short walk from public transportation, the campus is adjacent to Hebrew College and Rabbinical School, with which it shares many programs and operations. Andover Newton is an Equal Opportunity employer.
Please send (1) a cover letter detailing the connection between the candidate’s professional background and the position description below, (2) a résumé, and (3) the names and contact information for three professional references, to the attention of:
ATTN: David Ames
Andover Newton Theological School
210 Herrick Road
Newton Centre, MA 02459