Bob Craigue (left) is director of The Massachusetts Bible Society Media Center at Andover Newton. An Emmy and Peabody Award-winning filmmaker, Bob has more than 30 years experience as an editor, documentary producer, and videographer in major market television and media production.
What is the Media Center? | History | Facilities | Workshop | Services | YouTube Channel | Participant Feedback | Webcast | Hours | Contact
What is the Media Center?
The Media Center is a professional training and service facility for video production, internet streaming, Powerpoint presentations, webcasting, and the use of social media.
The Media Center is designed to:
- Train Andover Newton students and others in the use of all forms of media to support their studies and work in the future.
- Extend the school's distinguished faculty and other resources via the Internet and other new media channels.
- Work with churches, synagogues, businesses, and not-for-profit organizations to provide Emmy Award quality video and other media production services.
The Massachusetts Bible Society Media Center at Andover Newton was established in 2008 with a $500,000 gift from the Massachusetts Bible Society (MBS).
The MBS donation supported the creation of a state-of-the-arts media facility in Wilson Chapel. The two historic religious organizations announced "a covenant partnership in media arts and education” that will provide "a foundation for the production of a wide range of innovative resources for progressive Biblical literacy.” The center's mission includes advancing the media literacy and media skills of Andover Newton students and providing high quality media resources and services to alumni/ae, churches, and other non-profit organizations.
The Center opened in 2009 under the direction of Robert Craigue, a three-time Emmy-Award-winning former videographer, editor, and producer for WBZ-TV, a Boston CBS-affiliated television station.
Workshops in Media for Churches and Other Nonprofit Organizations
The Media Center offers regular workshops in video production, webcasting, social media, website design and management, and many other subjects in new media, both for beginners and more advanced users. They are specifically designed for churches and other nonprofits with limited budgets and staff time. Check the Andover Newton calendar for upcoming workshops.
Below is a short video with exerpts from an Andover Newton media workshop held in June 2010..
Response from past participants in our workshops includes:
"Valuable hands-on experience in editing and camera work."
"I learned the concept of Facebook as a place to meet your congregation in the same way that you would meet on the street."
"The chance to be interviewed on camera and review the video was extremely helpful."
"Online ministries are clearly becoming a vital part of the work of the church. Hearing one minister’s story about making literally life-saving connections online, with congregants of all ages, really woke me up to the NEED for ministers to be in the places people gather—both in person AND online. Thank you for providing this chance to learn together and practice using these tools for effective 21st-century ministry.”
The Media Center webcasts Andover Newton events live from Wilson Chapel and other locations on the Andover Newton campus. Please click on the green square to access the Webcast Center. Recorded video of past events at Andover Newton is also available on this page.
Media Center YouTube Channel
The Media Center's YouTube Channel includes short videos and excerpts of videos of events and programs on the Andover Newton campus and other material about the school and its programs.
Please subscribe to the Media Center's YouTube Channel.
Media Center facilities include a well-equipped television studio, located on the lower level of Wilson Chapel, state-of-the-art high definition professional broadcast cameras, Apple-Macintosh video editing stations, and field audio and lighting equipment, giving the Center full state-of-the-art audio/visual recording, production, video conferencing, and broadcast capabilities.
Programs can be recorded in Wilson Chapel or at remote locations across campus and elsewhere. The Center is able to generate CDs, DVDs, streaming video and cable programs.
The center's office is located on the main floor of Wilson Chapel.
The Media Center offers a variety of services to churches and other organziations, including:
- Media in the Ministry Workshops designed to introduce churches, synagogues, and not-for-profit organizations to low-cost tools for using media in carrying out their mission.
- Video services for branding, outreach, fund-raising, and promotion.
- Video streaming consulting to help distribute worship services and other events worldwide.
- Audio-video, lighting, and projection consulting for worship services and meetings.
- Social media consulting to explain the ins and outs of Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and other communciations vehicles of the new media world.
- Media outreach services to help get coverage for events and organizations, train staff to give interviews, and how to handle crisis coverage.
- Custom media workshops for religious and non-for-profit groups for training volunteers and staff and expanding media horizons.
Office hours for the Media Center are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, or by appointment. Please call or email prior to your visit.
The Media Center is open to Andover Newton students and faculty and to others by special arrangement.