Prospective Students
Welcome Why Seminary? Admissions Financial Aid The Andover Newton Difference Study Programs Faculty Library Campus Life
Current Students Alumni and Friends Churches and Ministries Lifelong Learning Lifelong Learning

What Can I Do With a Theological Degree?

Degree Occupation
Master of Divinity (M.Div.) Church camp director/counselor
College chaplain/campus minister
Community minister
Community organizer
Denominational executive
Director of religious education
Hospital/hospice chaplain
Interim minister
Military chaplain
Minister of pastoral care
Nonprofit executive director
Parish minister/pastor/associate minister
Pastoral counselor*
Ph.D. candidate
Prison chaplain
Private school religious techer
Social worker*
Spiritual director*
Youth minister
M.A. in Theological Studies Advocate, women’s shelter
Artist for local church
Communications director
Counselor, AIDS ministries
Creative liturgy coordinator
Director of religious education
Grief counselor
History or religion teacher
Minister to the mentally ill
Minister of visitation
Music and arts minister
Pastoral counselor**
Ph.D. candidate
Relief worker
Religion reporter
Retreat leader
Social worker*
Spiritual director*
Vocational counselor
Worship and arts coordinator
M.A. in Religious Education Curriculum developer
Director of religious education
Religion teacher
Workshop leader
M.A. in Theological Research Foreign missionary
Ph.D. candidate
Religion editor/publisher
Theological librarian*
Professor of theology*
Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.)
Generally for ordained persons in active ministry who want to gain increased expertise in a particular area of ministry, and it requires a previous M.Div. and three years of full-time ministry experience.
Clinical pastoral education supervisor
Denominational executive
Director of field education
Pastoral counselor*
Seminary administrator
Senior pastor
Spiritual director
* additional degree/training usually required

Resource links